Not about the Destination, it’s about the journey

It’s been a couple months since my sister started taking yoga classes.  The first couple months she would call me right after class and be so amazed at the things she was able to achieve.  But, the calls of excitement have turned into calls of frustration.  “Why am I not getting any better? I don’t think I can do I can get better? Maybe yoga isn’t for me?”  I hear these questions of frustration all the time. 

I stressed to her that yoga is a journey and not something that happens overnight.  It is important not to focus on the destination, but embrace every moment of the journey.




Yoga is a journey towards increased awareness and acceptance of the way things are around you.  Learning to free yourself from usual pressures of society is a big step in yoga growth. 

When starting yoga it is common to see great developments quickly, and then have it followed by a plateau where it feels like you’re not gaining anything more.  It is important to remember how far you have come.

Yoga strengthens your mind, body, and spirit are key components in the journey.




I had a difficult time in the beginning of my journey with letting go of a future-focused mindset and being results oriented.  When I finally tapped into the collective spirit and energy of yoga, I learned how to release all social responsibility while I am on my mat.

If you are like my sister and feeling discouraged about yoga, or if there is something else you are having trouble achieving, know that everything in life is a journey and that’s what makes getting there that much more worth it.  There is a destination upon arriving in each moment along the journey.  Every moment is a step towards a greater destination.

Namaste.

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment