Live your life, not theirs



Life is meant to be lived, not watched.  My teenage nephew was so baffled when he came to our house the other day and saw that we only had a little out of date TV in our family room.  He was even more shocked when he turned it on and only two channels were broadcasted.  Today’s generations are consumed by constant media access.  I believe that sitting in front of a TV for hours wastes precious time that could be spent having intelligent conversations, doing something active, or experiencing new things.  I live my spiritual life without the constant distraction of television.  After my nephew left, I thought about why I don’t watch television and how it helps connect myself with my sanctity.

Growing up as a gymnast, most of my free time was spent at the gym practicing.  Then when I was in school, studying left little to no time for myself, and when I found a spirituality through yoga, I recognized that sitting in front of a TV was mindless behavior I didn’t need in my life.



If you don’t use it, you lose it.  For me, it is necessary to keep mind, body, and spirit active and healthy.  I strive to challenge my mind every day, engaging in various activities and avoid mindless behavior.

It wasn’t difficult to eliminate TV from my life.  Sitting on the couch watching monotonous television is a mind-numbing past time that I would rather do without.  I feel like it distracts me from the world around and l begin lose awareness of my surroundings.  I make it a priority to focus on myself and feeling centered with the earth. 

 I found some interesting facts online that astounded me, I’m sure they will shock you too:

·         Unhappy people watch approximately 30 percent more television each week than happy people.

·         People who are generally happy, spend more time with friends, discuss engaging topics, and participate in physical fitness activities.

·         Watching TV for long periods of time is linked to lower life satisfaction and higher anxiety.

There have been many studies behind the negative effects of watching television.  Television does not stimulate my mind, body, or spirit, so I do not take part in watching.  I thrive in creative situations that stimulate new knowledge.  TV robs us of our creativity.  There are so many other positive things that I can do that keep my mind and body strong.

I have decided to live my own life rather than watch others live theirs.  Consider the pros and cons on how minimalizing or even cutting TV out of your life can impact your well-being.  Take the challenge, live your life and engage your mind.

Namaste


Anita

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment