My perfect birthday DIY

It has been nearly 6 months since my birthday and I am so thankful for all the great energy this year has begun to bring me.  Last weekend I was cleaning through our closet and saw my partner’s gift from my birthday that I had totally forgotten about.  He knows how much I like DIY projects, so he got me a soy candle making kit.  It was such a thoughtful gift I can’t believe I forgot about it.  I love being about to make as much as I can from scratch and spend time with good company. 

This week my partner and I finally got to make our soy candles.  I have made soy candles before but these were a little different but smelt so delicious.  Our candles turned out so great, I had to share how we made them with you.  I highly suggest making your own soy candles, they are magnificent.

This recipe makes about 2 small/medium candles depending on the size of jar you use.

Supplies you will need:

•    8 oz. soy wax flakes
•    Scent drops (whatever scent you want to make)
•    Candle wicks
•    2-3 popsicle sticks
•    2 small/medium jars
•    Candy thermometer
•    Heat-proof measuring cup
•    Hot glue gun
•    Small sauce pan

Directions:
Step 1- Prepare your jars by gluing one end of the wick to the bottom of the jar and wrap the other end around a popsicle stick and secure on the top of the jar.

Step 2- Bring about 3 inches of water to boil in a small sauce pan.  Put the soy flakes into a heat-proof measuring cup and put it into the sauce pan.  Leave the wax be as it melts.

Step 3- Once it is melted use the candy thermometer to make sure the wax is around 185 degrees F. Remove the measuring cup from the saucepan and heat.  Add a few sent drops to the wax (to your personal preference of scent) and stir with a spoon for about 2 minutes.

Step 4- Use the candy thermometer again, let the wax cool to about 135 degrees F. When the wax is cooled, carefully pour it into your jars.

Step 5- Let your candles cool down and solidify.  They turn fairly opaque and solid after about an hour.  Do not remove the popsicle stick with the wick until the soy is COMPLETELY solid.

Step 6- When the soy is completely solid, remove the popsicle stick and trim the wick to your desired length.

I read that you are supposed to let them harden completely for two weeks before lighting them.  But they smell great and are great decoration until you light them.







Hope you enjoy making DIY soy candles as much as I did.  I love quick DIY projects, if you have any favorites please share the directions!

Namaste.

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment