Shopping for yoga

I often get emails and phone calls from people who want to begin taking my class asking what to wear.  This morning after teaching my yoga class I stopped by a few stores to pick up new yoga clothes and I figured the topic of yoga apparel would be a great post to share.

My suggestion is to wear something form fitting and comfortable.  After all, you only get out of what you put in to it. 




When decided what to wear, it all depends on the yoga class and how rigorous it is going to be.  When I am doing power yoga or Bikram yoga, I sweat a lot.  I wear clothes that wick away sweat and keep me cool.  I would suggest something similar to the sweat wicking fabrics you would wear when running.

Baggy t-shirts are okay for men, but I always suggest women were a tight fitting top so that it won’t flip inside out when doing inversions.  Tucking in a baggy shirt can be dangerous and poses a risk of falling.  It is important to wear something comfortable but tight enough it won’t distract you.


It is also important that women wear a conservative tops and bottoms that aren’t see-through.  Wearing something low cut could be risky when doing inverted poses.  And wearing thin pants can give everyone a show behind you.

When purchasing clothes to practice in, there is no need to splurge on big labels.  Here are some of my favorite places to get yoga apparel:

•    Nike- I have always loved Nike for athletic clothing.  They have good quality clothing that won’t hinder your yoga experience.  They also have a new line called Nike Studio Wrap Pack, it is a footwear that helps give more traction and protection if you are having a difficult time holding poses for a long period of time. 


•    Old Navy- There are few places to buy workout clothes that are as affordable as Old Navy.  Most of their work out gear is under $30, and they also have petite, tall, and plus size options.


•    Target- Here is another store that won’t break your budget.  You will find a wide selection of tops and bottoms adequate for yoga.  The clothing often goes on sale too.


•    Nordstrom- Nordstrom sells just about everything, including workout clothes.  They offer a wide selection of brands for whatever you are looking for, at many price points.


You can find yoga and fitness apparel at plenty of stores.  I don’t wear a single brand, I wear clothes that fit and won’t hinder my practice.  It’s not necessary to go out and spend a fortune on clothes.  Find clothes that fit and feel comfortable.  Yoga isn’t about looking good, it is about feeling good and creating a healthy mind, body, and spirit. 

If you have any other questions about beginning yoga, don’t hesitate to ask.  I want to create a positive and open environment everywhere I go, including this site.

Namaste.

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment