Make this year the best yet


I hope everyone is having an incredible start to the New Year and excited for all 2016 has in store.  Beginning this year I challenged my yoga students and myself to be happy as much as possible this year.  It might sound minuscule, but focusing on being happy is something we tend to forget.

How many times a day can you say that you have been happy?  Most of the time we are just indifferent about our feelings and it doesn’t really bother us.  I believe consciously being happy in times when you are just indifferent completely changes your mindset for the rest of the day.

I came up with some pointers to share with my students about finding their own happy place in their mind.

Make time to spend with friends, they really do many life better.  Who you chose to be around reflects who you are and how you act.  Having fun and positive friends, family, and coworkers makes you a fun and positive person as well.

Go swimming!  I know this sounds a little strange, but when I was researching finding a happy lifestyle I came across some research that found that being by bodies of water has a calming effect on your mind and body because it is reminiscent of our gestation in amniotic fluid.

Swimming can make you happy!

Focus on the moment and being happy in the moment.  When your mind is focus on the present time, instead of the countless things you have to do next week, you reduce stress hormone cortisol levels.  Yoga teaches to be present in the moment, practice that throughout the day.

Belt out your favorite song…this way my student’s favorite.  Who doesn’t feel better after singing their favorite song on the top of their lungs?  Singing has been known to lower the risk of depression and anxiety, and to be beneficial to your well-being.

Self-affirmations can make any day better.  They ward off negativity and the effects stress has on your mood.  I suggest practicing self-affirmations in the morning before you start your day and in stressful situations to remember how great you are and focus on the present.

The simple act of smiling can bring happiness to situations.  Did you know that smiling engages the muscles around your mouth and eyes that are connected with lowering heart rate?  Smile to be happy and have a healthy heart.


I challenge you to be happy this new year.  Let’s make one another laugh, smile, sing on the top of our lungs, go swimming, and focus on the moment!  2016 will the happiest year yet!

Namaste.


Anita




Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment