Yoga Class themes

A few weeks ago I went to a yoga training course and the topic of theming classes came up in conversation.  Theming classes has never been my main emphasis is classes but I do theme them subconsciously.



To me theming classes consists of the way I speak, the words I choose to use, the pose sequences, and adjustments all make each one of my classes unique to my style.  Compassion, grace, perseverance, and courage are all themes I consider when I am teaching a traditional class as my authentic self.

Although, I often let my subconscious guide the way the theme of the class goes, I sometimes intentionally set a theme for class.  I do this by creating a playlist by choosing a word or a holiday and searching for songs to base it off of.  Sometimes I chose a value or word and focus on that intention through the entire class.  I also sometimes pick an experience that will benefit my students.

Here is a list of some idea’s I have come up with to create a class theme-

Holiday playlists

Experiences-
o Exploring the feeling of being still- even while moving
o Seeing the body from every angle and every muscle
o Every action has an equal and opposite reaction- Newton’s Third law of Motion

Focus on each part of the body and how it feels in a single pose
Keeping drishti on the third eye throughout class

Inspiring quotes
o “Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do, it bears your signature.” –Thich Nhat Hanh, Buddhist monk
o “Life is beautiful because of you.”
o “The highest spiritual practice is self-observation without judgment.” –Swami Kripalu


It is not important that my students realize that there is a theme to the class; but that the intention and energy are subconsciously expressed through movement and emotion.  I don’t put a huge emphasis on theming but it will always happen regardless if I do it intentionally or not.

Yoga is about the subconscious benefits.

Namaste.


Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment