Will Power & Discipline

Every morning is the birth of a new day and an opportunity to do something incredible.  I am only human and know that there are some days when my alarm clock goes off and the absolute last thing I want to do is get out of bed.  But I do, I rise up to greet the day with a grateful mind and thankful heart.  It is not my body that makes me get up, it is the discipline needed to be the person I want to be.

My disciple makes mornings roll like a movie, it is a well memorized routine that I can do without thinking.  The moment I step on my mat to begin my morning practice, my discipline heightens and I am able to give all my energy to each vinyasas.  It is easy to get lazy in the mornings but I tell myself not to waste any moment on the mat and to give everything I have.


Along with my disciple it is crucial to have a strong will power.  The will to make a change for the better, the will to be the best person you can be, and the will to commit and follow through with passion.

It takes the combination of will power and discipline to make a lifestyle change.  I remember way back when I first started taking yoga and wanted to recreate my life and make it something I would be proud of.  It was one of the most challenging yet rewarding journeys in my entire life.  To anyone who is beginning a change for the better and is expending their will power and discipline, here are some aspects of them I learned along my way.

1. Will power has limited energy and can be easily expended.  It is difficult learning to say no, make the right decision, or turning back when things get difficult.  The easy way out will always be present, but it is your decision to continue progressing.  Know your will power and avoid tempting situations that may push you over the edge.

2. Focus on one or two goals so you are not wearing yourself thin.  I still have the tendency to throw myself into too many projects making them take longer than they should.  I try making it a point to only make one or two realistic goals with measurable success every step of the way.

3. And when I finally reach a goal or a milestone, I make sure to acknowledge my accomplishment.  I have learned to write down what I did each day to become closer to my goal.  With my will power and discipline I know I will reach the goal, it is just a matter of getting that far.
 
To anyone out there just beginning a journey, know that there will be challenges and obstacles in your way.  But remember that with the power of your mind through your will and discipline anything is possible.


Namaste




Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment