How to Clean your Yoga Mat

This morning after class I had a student ask me how to clean her yoga mat.

It is a fairly common question I get often.  After a while, a yoga mats get pretty smelly; and make your child’s pose less enjoyable.

I clean my studios used yoga mats after every use just because of the sanitation of the next person using it.
I high suggest getting your own mat because not all studios clean their mats as often as I do.


My suggestion for cleaning your mat is that you first read the manufactures directions for cleaning.

If you lost the instructions or aren’t sure who made the mat here is what I suggest using.

If your mat is lightly soiled; Make a solution of two cups of water and 2-4 drops of organic dish soap and use a spray bottle, damp sponge or cloth to apply and rub the soiled areas.  Wipe the mat with fresh water and rub dry with a cloth.  I like to let my mat air dry to really get clean.


In your mat is very soiled; submerge your mat in warm water and a little bit of mild detergent.  Use as little soap as you can because if you use too much it can cause your mat to become slippery.  Hand wash your mat and then rinse thoroughly with fresh water.  Squeeze out the excess water.  Hang your mat over a chair and let air dry.
 
Regular use of your yoga mat can make it quite dirty.  The oils, sweat, and dirt can affect your practice and distract you.  A mat is like your home, you have to take care of it and clean it so it won’t make you sick.

I wash and clean my mat frequently because of my constant use.  Be conscious when your mat is dirty and give it a good wipe down to prevent something bad from happening.

If you have any more basic yoga questions I am open to listening to them and trying to answer them. Or if you use a different method to clean your mat, please share them in the comments, new and innovative ways are always welcome.

Namaste.

Anita Myers

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment