What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger

Recently one of my dear friends was diagnosed with a debilitating disease.  Hearing my friend share the prognosis made me think of a common saying, “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”  Everyone goes through trying times in life where the struggle seems to never end.  But with a strong and powerful mind, body, and spirit, it is amazing what the human condition can overcome.



When I first heard about my friend’s disease, it was my instinct to try to console her.  I caught myself using empty clichés and countless tired attempts to cheer her up.  I realized that those empty words do nothing to help someone feel better about a situation.  Those pointless words are not what someone wants to hear when they know the future is uncertain.  

I know from experience when deep pain and struggle hits, we need solid truth to get us through it.  A few years ago I had my own health issues; they have now pasted; and I was tired of hearing “don’t worry everything is going to be alright.”  I didn’t want to hear the pointless clichés from all my loved ones.  All I wanted to talk about was life and what was going on with my friends and family, not the struggle I was going through.  I found it much more spiritually and emotionally healing to focus my mind of the positives and what was honestly going on.

I have visited my friend several times since then and she has expressed her appreciation for my honesty and efforts to focus on the things not related to the suffering.  I find it helpful to remind myself that in the most tragic circumstances you grow as a spiritual being more than any other time.  Positive thinking and optimism play a big role in dealing with situations, but real hope and efforts to make a different outcome, make a trying situation past faster. 

I also believe that meditation is an exceptional way to deal with struggle.  It helps calm the mind and center your thoughts.  Mind over Medicine by Lissa Rankin, M.D. is a great book at explains how positive energy and thinking actually can help you heal and get over trying times.  You can read my post about meditation and positive thinking here.

It may seem like there is not a light at the end of the tunnel, but trust me there is.  Keeping positive energy and perception of reality intact during tough times make you a more spiritual person.


“Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." –Joshua J. Marine.  It is true what they say, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.  I've become stronger, more spiritual, and more compassionate; I know you will too.

Namaste.

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment