Acroyoga

This morning I was invited to a friend’s studio for an acroyoga practice.  I had done acroyoga a few times before but it had been quite some time since I practiced.  I am not going to lie, I was a little nervous going this morning.  I forgot how much trust you have to put into a stranger that they won’t drop you on your head.  5 minutes into the practice and my nerves had subsided and I was really having fun.  AcroYoga is a fun, creative, and self-building practice.



In case you are not sure what acroyoga is, here is the 411.  AcroYoga is a partner yoga with a “base” and a “flyer” to execute a series of aerial postures.  It creates a therapeutic release from the combination of acrobatics and yoga.  It is essential to have good alignment and posture so that no body falls and gets hurt.  There are a few established poses in acroyoga but many classes encourage improvisation and free acrobatic play.  Simply put, it is a practice that combines yoga and acrobatics to create therapeutic postures and stretches.


I remember a while ago when I tried it my first time…I did not love it.  After a few classes and different partners it started to grow on me.  The class really depends on your partner and how well your bodies and minds can click.  This morning my partner was wonderful.  He had been doing acroyoga for many years and made me feel really comfortable while I was in the air.

AcroYoga is not very relaxing to me, but I still enjoy it.  The use of gravity and inversions is very therapeutic and used an entirely different set of muscles than a mainstream yoga practice.  It is a good change in pace from solo yoga sessions and meditation.  It creates a personal connection between the partners that has to have trust and solidarity almost instantly after starting.


If you are thinking about trying acroyoga, here are something’s you should know about the practice.
•    You do not need a partner when you attend classes, you find them there.
•    Acroyoga is for everyone, you don’t have to be a gymnast, acrobat, or yoga pro.
•    Size does not matter.  Don’t be self-conscious and let acroyoga take you on a gravitational journey.
•    Taking turns and talking is the best way to get what you want out of the practice
•    Build trust and communication quickly and you won’t have any problems having a great acroyoga class.





I say, give acroyoga a try, what do you have to lose?

Namaste,

Anita

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment