Scents and Sensibility - During Yoga

When new students come to my yoga class they usually comment on the subtle scent of my lobby area.

I use aromatherapy to set the mood and energy through oil extracted from plants. 

I see students and other friends and families mood change when I have my oils out.  The sense of smell connects with the part of your brain that controls emotion, making it a great way to set the energy and aura of the room.

Oils and incense have been used for centuries in spiritual traditions like yoga.  Frankincense, myrrh, and sandalwood were used to elevate the mood for devotional practices and meditation.  I find that using similar oils help me and my students engage mind, body, and spirit.

Here are a few incense I use that can lift moods and make other emotions apparent.

To focus and center use-

Frankincense
Lavender
Petitgrain
Rosemary

To energize-

Grapefruit
Lemon
Peppermint
Pine

To soothe and relax-

Cedar
Orange
Rose
Sandalwood

I use incense in my home to help my partner and me unwind from a busy day or just help relax.  It helps connect with ourselves and with each other.  I also believe it encourages emotional release by calming our nervous system.  We often feel more tranquil and peacefulness when we are burning incense.

I believe that incense and oils have a healing effect on humans.  It is a peaceful act that allows your senses to engage deeper within your practice and your spirituality.  Incense transport me into a more profound spirituality.  I am able to come closer to finding peace and harmony from within.

Essential oils can inspire your practice and set the tone for your day.  I encourage you to try using incense or oils in your home for mood and energy setting.

Namaste.

Anita

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment