Paddleboard Yoga

The past two days I participated in a yoga retreat near our home exclusively for paddleboard yoga.  It was not the first time I tried it but no doubt it was a challenging getting the hang of it but once I did I loved it.



I think yoga on a paddleboard is a great new challenge for when a yoga routine becomes stale.  It definitely pushed me and focus on my posture and every aspect even more.  I became more aware of my poses and each muscle involved.  If I had more weight on one foot, I was well aware.

It is a great workout.  Because the platform is not stable it is necessary to engage the core muscles to remain balanced.  Paddleboard yoga is not for the fait at heart, it is challenging and, in my opinion, much more difficult than doing on a mat.

It a great workout and it was actually really fun.  I felt like I had been reborn into the yoga realm and started my yoga journey new.  It gave me motivation I didn’t even know I needed that made me feel something new.  The touch of fear I had about falling in the water provided me with adrenaline to say focused and determined to succeed.

Even though the fear of falling in pumped adrenaline in my body to keep me focused, it didn’t keep me standing the whole time.  I fell in and immediately reminded myself of the phrase I always tell to my students about doubting themselves, “when you get knocked down, you have to get back up.” Falling is a lesson that is essential in growing.  Each time you fall you are closer to success.
The sensation of floating and the movement of the water made me become one with the water.  It made me feel light and lift a heavy sensation off my shoulders.  There was something extremely empowering about paddleboard yoga.  Standing on a board over the water gave the perspective of the sea and the horizon.  It almost felt as though I was just hovering over the earth.

Overall, my favorite part was that we were outside enjoying the natural splendors of nature.  It also was exciting syncing my Ujjayi Pranayama, Ocean Breath, with the ocean.  Listening to the sound of the ocean with my breath made me sink into such a deep relaxation.  The soft sound of the water hitting my board also connected me and focused my mind on my breath.

Paddleboard yoga really made me focus on my poses, practice, and release any fear or tension I had built up.  Each day I felt rejuvenated and empowered.  Breathing the fresh air, soaking up the vitamin D, and being one with the natural landscape made this practice so unique and captivating.  I felt a unity between nature, humanity, and the universe.

If you are in a yoga rut, I recommend finding a paddleboard yoga school and give it a try.  It is a great way to mix things up and rediscover why you love yoga.  I will be practicing paddleboard yoga again very soon.

Namaste.

Share this:

JOIN CONVERSATION

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment